Sunday, November 30, 2008

Being Sick is no Fun!

This is my I am a crappy parent post!

The day we left for FL Preston developed a cough/cold. We watched him gave him medicine and it seemed to get better. When we got back, it seemed to come back and I just watched him. Yesterday it got really bad, so bad in fact that at dinner he coughed so much it made him throw up 4 times in a row. Of course always is the case when our children throw up, Alan was at work! I put Preston in a bath, cleaned up and put him to bed. He continued to cough so when Alan got home (he was just doing a 12 hour cover) We talked about what to do and decided Alan would take him to the ER (I figured since I had cleaned up puke he could take him in) It was 8:30 by then.

They went in, were put in a room right away and decided a chest x-ray and breathing treatment were needed. Iam so glad I wasn't there, Alan said the put him in this contraption that made Alan hold his arms up and Plexiglass wrapped around his chest. He was hysterical apparently. After the x-rays came back they showed a lung infection so they needed blood, again I am glad I wasn't there. They held him down and weren't able to after trying for 5 min, get any blood out of his arm, Preston says ouch every time he moves it this morning. So the had to milk his finger, Alan thought Preston was going to pass out he was crying so hard, he even saw his eyes start to roll back.

Finally they diagnosed him with Walking Pneumonia. Ugh, I should have taken him in much earlier.

He slept ok last night but he is going to have at least 2 naps today, hopefully he will feel better soon!

4 comments:

Kaysi said...

Poor little guy! That sounds awful and no fun. Hopefully he gets better soon. Let us know if you need anything.

Anonymous said...

Give him some of his favorite ice cream and buy him a pony. Okay, skip the ice cream and just get him the pony. Tell him Grandpa Tim and Grandma Suzan love him.

mrs_stailey said...

Oh my gosh! That sounds horrible! I hope he gets better soon! And no, you are not a bad parent.

Anonymous said...

You are DEFINITELY not a crappy parent!! I once got chewed out by a doctor for not giving you tylenol before I took you in with a fever of 103. I was afraid if I gave you the tylenol and the fever went down, they wouldn't beleive how sick you were. Thankfully, kids usually live through their parent's mistakes and he is too young to remember it anyway! :)